Sedona Adventure Tours
FAQs – frequently Asked Questions
Is there any food provided on the river trips?
- We supply snacks and water please bring your own water bottle if you can so you can refill this throughout the day.
Do you have to have kayaking experience?
- No! Most of the year this is a fun river float trip well suited to beginners and children. The Verde River is more of a big creek than a river. You will encounter about 12 sporty little chutes of water where you can take a break from paddling. There is no white water. Sometimes, during our spring run-off in February and March and during our rainy season of mid July through mid September there can be bigger water flows. Our experienced guides will offer information on what to expect and conduct a pre-trip “Paddling 101″ class to show you how to navigate the river.
Where does the river trip launch from you start the trip?
- In Camp Verde at the Clear Creek River access point. Approximatley 15 minutes from the Verde River Adventure Center.
Will I see red rocks on this trip?
- You’ll see red rock on way out of town as well as mountain chains and fabulous Verde Valley sights; not along the river. The geology along the river is limestone hills, with numerous caves used by pre-historic cultures as well gorgeous mountain views. Abundance of beautiful Sycamore, Cottonwood & Willow trees as well as riverside reeds, cattails, grasses and flowers.
Is the trip suitable for children?
- Absolutely, this trip is great for families! Even grandma and grandpa can go! On guided river trips, children 3-12 years old must accompany a parent in a tandem Ducky Kayak.
Do you offer discounts for families and groups?
- Yes! On the phone, talk to our representative about available discounts that are periodically offered for families and for groups of five or more persons. Also, book two or more tours/kayak rentals and receive a 10% discount.
What should I wear and bring with me?
- Bring your sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, lip balm, water bottle and a change of clothes (if you so desire). Depending on the season you may want to layer your clothing and wear quick drying fabrics. If you have water shoes you can wear them, for rentals you need to pack your own food and water (coolers available for a nominal fee), make sure your vehicle is gassed up. Booties and splash gear are not available for rentals.
What if it inclement weather?
- This is an adventure and we go rain or shine unless the conditions make it unsafe.
What if I need to cancel?
- Groups of 1-5 people must cancel at least 24 hours in advance of their reservation for a refund*.
- Groups of 6 or more people must cancel 72 hours in advance of their reservation for a refund*.
- *ALL refunds, regardless of time of cancellation are subject to a $25.00 administrative fee.
What should I tip my guides?
- We recommend 15%. The guides are a wealth of information and work hard behind the scenes to ensure your tour is fun, safe and memorable.
Are there bathroom facilities available during the trip?
- Only at the end of your river trip, we recommend using our facilities at the Verde River Adventure Center before we depart. There are primitive forest service bathrooms at the river exit point. Normally they are in good to very good condition.
What if I can’t swim?
- Because of the Ducky Kayak’s stability it is the exception rather than the rule for someone to take a swim. Life jackets are supplied and required and helmets are optional. You can stand up in much of the river and, of course, your guide is always nearby to assist you. In fact, we have had several non-swimmers go on our trips, albeit with some trepidation, only to come back smiling and glad that they went!