New Guided Trip on the Verde River at Clarkdale
Boating in the desert on a brand new stretch of the Verde River that just opened, through the land that time forgot? We call it the Verde River at Clarkdale stretch. How cool is that!
Not often can you experience a beautiful stretch of a waterway in Arizona that has seen very few boaters on it especially in the desert. This trip begins just up steam from the Town of Clarkdale, Az across from the historic TAPCO (The Arizona Power Company) power plant and ends at the base of Tuzigoot National Monument a 1,000 year old ancient pueblo site. Cruising down this incredible new stretch of the Verde River at Clarkdale in a “Ducky Kayak” is a blast! These inflatable kayaks are comfortable, unbelievably stable, easy to paddle and just plain fun for everyone!
You will discover a whole new world while gliding down these magical waters of the Verde River at Clarkdale, on the only ‘Wild & Scenic River’ in Arizona, in your safe and stable Ducky Kayak. The Town of Clarkdale located just below the historic mining town of Jerome, Az is the entry way for an incredible wilderness of spectacular canyons, verdant forests, brightly colored wildflowers and a multitude of wildlife including mule deer, beaver, river otter, great blue herons, red tail hawks and golden and bald eagles. Located in the Town of Clarkdale is the train depot for the world famous Verde Canyon Railroad. You can combine this river trip with a train ride and make this a “River to Rails” adventure all in one day or combine your river trip with several of our unique package ideas, Paddle to Pints, Grand Water to Wine, Saddle to Paddle and Kayaks to Quads.
Interspersed with exhilarating chutes and calm floating pools, the Verde River is the perfect river experience for folks of all ages. No experience is necessary for this safe and relaxing float down the gentle waters of the Verde River. Your Verde Adventures guide will assist you with basic paddling techniques and will provide all of the gear you need to make this a truly enjoyable, memorable, and safe adventure.
Essential Tour Information:
Total time on the tour is approximately 4 hours, and total time on the river is 2 to 2.5 hours covering about 5 miles.
Multiple tours daily. Please call for availability. Meet us at the Caboose Gift Shop at 6 North 9th Street in the Town of Clarkdale.
The tour departs from the Caboose Gift Shop in the Town of Clarkdale where you can park check in for your trip and use the restroom, grab a cup of coffee, snack and meet your guide and shuttle driver. (map and directions).
$87.55 per adult, $77.25 per child (12 years & under) plus taxes & fees. Gratuity not included
- Please review our payment, cancellation, and other policies here.
- Children 3-12 yrs must be in tandem kayak with an adult
- There must be four people on the tour for it to go out, including your party and any others that reserve the same time.
What to bring:
Water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, camera in a Ziploc or water proof bag. Dress appropriately for the weather and the time of year.
What we provide:
An awesome guide, boats, paddles, personal flotation device (PFD), all transportation*, snacks, and water to refill your bottle with.
Typical Schedule and Itinerary – Total Time is approximately 4 hours. River Time is approximately 2.5 hours. (This is a sample for any launch time – your tour times will be included in your confirmation email)
- – Check in at the Caboose Gift Shop located on the intersection of Main and North. Use the address 6 North 9th Street for Google Maps. (map and directions)
- – Shuttle departs for the river
- – Arrive at the TAPCO River Access Point , safety talk, get fitted with a personal flotation device (PFD)
- – River trip launches
- – Run TAPCO rapid
- – Gliding past Horse Island
- – Float around Butterfly Bend
- – Run the Smelter Rapid
- – Portage Brewers Tunnel (mandatory portage)
- – Run the Bitter Creek Rapid
- – Run the Daughter of Bitter Creek Rapid
- – Cruise beneath the Tuzigoot Bridge
- – Arrive at Tuzigoot River Access Point.
- – Our shuttle van will return you to the Caboose Gift Shop and you are now free to enjoy lunch, wine tasting and shopping in The Town of Clarkdale!